As I was a busy bee, I never updated mimifrizzles with my projects. My first project at university was called ‘Getting Into Print’ and you can see this project a few posts down, however I never put ‘Pattern & Repeat’ and ‘Fabulous Technicolour: British Raj’ on mimifrizzles, my second and third (final) projects.
Pattern & Repeat:
My approach to the project was to collaborate Manchester’s architecture and India’s block prints together; my final print portrayed an outstanding appearance of texture, line, pattern and meshing of the compositions.
The dyeing and printing process during the experimental phase allowed me to discover which fabric, dyes and dye mixes I was going to use in my final print. I first experimented with dyeing a range of fabrics, specifically Linen, Silk Twill, Silk Georgette and a variety of thick and thin cottons. I held each of the fabrics in the different dye baths for either one second, five seconds, ten seconds or thirty seconds. I completed my final print on fabric Silk Twill, held in the grey dye bath for 10 seconds.
After dyeing a previous favourite sample of the Silk Twill, I decide to do the same on my final print in the same timespan. I then printed over the top with 50/50 Indalca Paste and Ecotex Binder with a mix of the White Pigment, and then once steamed, washed and dried, again with Manutex and Procion MX Black. I decided to print with these dye mixes on the Silk Twill as it showed the greatest amount of detail, enhanced my print where it needed to be enhanced and expressed its true potential.
What I would have differently before my final print process would have been to have essentially developed my compositions and drawings for my screen a little bit more. I also believe I should have made a decision on my final fabric sooner, as this slowed me down. The fabric I needed was from the university shop, which was shut when I made the decision. During the printing process, I realized my fabric was not as wide as the actual print, therefore around 10cm of my print has been cut off. If I had ensured my fabric was wide enough, this could have been resolved. Finally, my time management should have been a bit more organised, as I felt rushed attempting to complete my print before the print room closed but thankfully this is not evident.
I am really happy with the offset of the black on the white print, as this enhances the detail and suggests a shadow effect. The repeat of my pattern has an extremely desirable use of light and dark tones.I really wanted to work into my favourite prints from printing week, so I completed the research further on in my sketchbook.
Fabulous Technicolour: British Raj
Upon being given the project theme, I was extremely excited, as I have always had an interest in Indian textiles, art and fashion. My particular favourite Indian designer, Manish Arora, is extremely famous for his Indian contemporary garments, which involve over-decoration of beading and patterns. My starting place for inspiration was the Victoria and Albert Museum and British Museum in London. I looked at everything relating to India between the British Raj time period (Late 19th Century – Mid 20th Century) and discovered jewellery, sculptures, fabrics, furniture etc. and got a strong feel for the traditional yet growing culture.
Throughout the project I began to learn the crossover between Britain and India also and how they strongly influenced and reflected upon each other. My strongest inspiration for this was a book titled ‘The Last Empire’ which is a collection of photographs from the British Rule. From this book I enjoyed looking at interiors, archways, architectural ruins and palace/imperial objects. My drawings began to develop from simple ink, pencil and marker drawings to my own personal style, incorporating influences from artist Cate Parr also, which then created beautiful watercolour compositions.
Once the drawing process was complete, I then experimented with my drawings and designs on Photoshop. I enjoyed doing this as I could make the colours I had created even brighter and manipulate my drawings accordingly. It was during this process I decided I was going to focus on the interiors side and create the cushion and wallpaper piece. I looked at imperial wallpapers and furnishings as well as contemporary versions to influence my final designs. I wish that my final extended collection incorporated so much more of my personal style, as my final choices were influenced by a visiting tutor who was concerned that my pieces were either too ‘precise and typical’ or ‘too busy’. However, I added to my extended collection with the dye sublimation process, creating watery/inky paint lines over my work.
For my final cushion piece I used an ink design and manipulated the colours within it on Photoshop, then I composed repeats of it to create different shapes and sizes all pieced together. The ruffles on my final cushion consist of digitally printed text; with extra text dye-sublimated over the top and it reads ‘GOD SAVE OUR EMPRESS OF INDIA”. I visualise my cushion as a decoration on a wooden swinging chair (preferable painted navy to allow it to stand out) and I discovered this inspiration from Urban Outfitters. My final wallpaper is constructed through manipulated colours and crafted textures to represent old/cracked walls with a contemporary twist. As it has the chandelier central, the background (the oranges, pinks and navy blues) would be repeated to create mural style wallpaper with the chandelier central on the wall. I am very delighted with my final cushion and final wallpaper but wish I had more time to add extra beading and embroidery to the cushion to represent over-decoration and busy-ness.
If you would like to see any more images from my work contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org🙂